Macs are great! Even when they are old, like the eMacs.
An eMac with 700MHz can be upgraded to Leopard (Mac OS 10.5 – this is the last build for PPCs) but some challenges arise. First, the CPU speed, then the DL DVD reader, etc. Nevertheless with some patience it is possible to upgrade. Here’s some links that show you how. Enjoy the ride!
- How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode
- What is target disk mode
- Can I install Leopard on a G4 eMac?
- Upgrade Mac OS X 10.3 to 10.5?
- Install 10.5 on an unsupported PowerPC
- What is the Open Firmware?
Because I didn’t have much time left I ended up just installing Tiger (Mac 10.4) with the single DVD. Here’s another link to show you how to install 10.4 or any other OS with an external firewire drive.
When I have more time I’ll upgrade the eMac to 10.5.